A needlestick injury is when the giver of the injection accidentally pricks themselves with the end of the used needle, breaking their skin. This can result in the infection of this person’s blood of blood-borne pathogens.
It is not exactly known but it is estimated that over 320,000 needlestick injuries occur in the United States of America each year. This would indicate that in other parts of the world it would be as high or higher.
- If someone sustains a needlestick injury they must be tested for a wide variety of blood borne pathogens, a number of times, over a period of time intervals to ascertain if they have been infected. This testing is a cost.
- If they have been infected then they will require treatment, medications and sometimes counselling which is a cost.
- The injured person may be unable to work during or after this time that can also result in costs.
- Testing for blood borne pathogens are expensive, in the US, the cost is approximately $3000 – $4000 per person. 4
4 David Gisselquist et al., “Let It Be Sexual: How the Health Care Transmission of AIDS in Africa was Ignored,” International Journal of STD & AIDS 2003; 14: 148-161. Also Devon D. Brewer et al., “Mounting Anomalies in the Epidemiology of HIV in Africa: Cry the Beloved Paradigm,” in the same issue, pages 144-147.
No. Reuse of a needle can create the transfer of blood borne pathogens. A new and sterile needle should be used for each injection given.
- Reduced needlestick injury testing costs.
- Reduced waste management costs. The retracted needle system results in each used syringe using less space in a sharps container. Therefore more used needles can be contained in a sharps disposal unit.
- Minimal additional training – The simple systems means minimal or no extra training is required to use the technology.
When the needle is retracted back into the barrel and the plunger is snapped off the needle falls to one side (tilts).
Little or no additional staff training is required.
Due to the needle being fully contained in the syringe barrel and the plunger being snapped off, the needle is contained. However, local regulations will determine if you need a sharps container.
ClickZip™ is an active safety syringe i.e. it requires user controlled retraction of the needle.
- The product size ranges from: 3ml; 0.5ml; Insulin; Tuberculin; 1 ml 3ml; 5 ml and 10 ml.
- ClickZip™ technology is suitable for extension to other needle bearing products including IV scalp vein sets, IV catheters and pre-filled delivery systems.
- The tip of the plunger is specially modified (patented technology) to capture the needle.
- When the plunger is fully depressed, at the end of the injection, the locking mechanism is activated enabling the retraction of the needle into the barrel.
Yes. However, remember not to depress the plunger fully in order to avoid activating the locking mechanism before administering the injection.
Primary packaging is a blister made up of:
- Medical-Grade Paper.
- Transparent film (paired polypropylene + polyethylene) heat-welded to the paper.
The product is sterilised with ethylene oxide gas. The sterilisation process is validated and meets the requirements of EN 550 and ISO 11135.
- The dead space is compensated for on the graduation scale of the syringe barrel.
- The dead space meets the requirements of ISO 7886-1 and ISO 8537 Standard.
The common clinical practice for health care workers depends on the hospital protocol for the injections. According to the field experience with ClickZip™, we believe that the above procedure is no longer necessary.
Yes. Because the needle:
- is manufactured using the highest quality of steel available;
- incorporates a special design with a triple bevel at precisely the correct angle to minimise the force required for penetration, ensuring maximum patient comfort;
- is lubricated and so an excellent injection is insured even if the needle is used to draw medication prior to the injection. The patient’s discomfort is minimised.
- Comparative needle penetration test has shown that the needle sharpness of ClickZip™ is equal or superior to leading syringe producers in the market.
We do not recommend the use of ClickZip™ for IV Injections, but this is a precaution more than a prohibition. Considering all the above, the answer to the question if ClickZip™ can be utilised for IV Injection is: “YES, depending on the Institution protocol”.
ClickZip™ Needle Retractable Safety Syringe is to be used for intra-muscular or subcutaneous injection of medications while preventing needlestick injuries. ClickZip™ is not intended to be used for withdrawing blood.
This statement is common with other safety syringes. In health care settings, the blood collection, for diagnostic and clinical purposes, is made usually by using a vacuum blood-drawing system. The aim is to avoid any risks of blood manipulation and contamination, as well as blood borne pathogen infections dissemination. The above recommendation in the Instructions for Use is aimed to ensure the highest safety and protection from a possible contamination by infected blood.
When a nurse collects the blood sample, using a standard or safety syringe, after removing the needle from the patient and before transferring in to the blood collection tube, the needle remains exposed. This is an important risk factor for accidental needlestick and for dissemination of blood borne infectious diseases.
The collection of blood using ClickZip™, is technically possible, but is not in compliance with the safety requirements.
A minimal training and demonstration on how to use is recommended to ensure that all procedures are well performed. Numedico Customer Service will be happy to assist you.
ClickZip™ Needle Retractable Safety Syringe complies with CE & US FDA regulations for Medical Devices.
Yes, ClickZip™ Needle Retractable Safety Syringe is latex free.
No. ClickZip™ Needle Retractable Safety Syringe is sterile, single-use and non-reusable.
The product has a valid shelf life of 3-5 years from the date of manufacture.
Through the ClickZip™ Needle Retractable Safety Syringe, Numedico is able fulfill their company mission and focus on providing valuable protection for the health worker, their patients and others in the community. This technology can help prevent the spread of disease, infection and blood-borne pathogens Its wide spread use is primarily concerned with safety in the community and its long term health.
In addition to this its high quality needle strives to provide increased patient comfort.
Should you have any further questions concerning our products, please contact us at the following email address: email@example.com
For information about sales and distribution, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org