Recently the issue of needlestick injury (NSI) hit the headlines in Adelaide, South Australia, when a girl of eight years was stuck by a used needle protruding from a sharps container in a service station toilet.
A shocking and unfortunate incident, after three months of testing thankfully the little girl has not contracted any of the deadly blood borne pathogens that are transmitted via used and infected needles. It could have easily been a different story and often is for those that suffer NSI. Her mother Simone Percy has started a petition to better regulate and service sharps boxes.
The incident has started conversations all over Australia, that are equally as relevant all over the world, about the astounding prevalence of NSI, not only in Australia, but globally, and how relevant addressing this risk is to community safety as a whole. Our CEO. Neville Calvert was invited on to ABC Radio yesterday to talk with Sonya Feldhoff about this issue and the benefits that Safety Syringe Technology can provide.
To listen to the interview please click on the file below.